How to Install a Wired Doorbell
Spring has sprung, and along with your usual closet organization and deep cleaning of the house comes big and small renovations. If you've been thinking about upgrading your doorbell, or have a broken doorbell that you've been meaning to fix, now is the time to tackle this task with BAZZ Smart Home's video doorbell!
Tools You'll Need
A typical doorbell system comprises a button, a transformer, and a chime unit that can be replaced individually. However, doorbell kits allow for easy replacement and upgrade of the entire system, including the button, transformer, and receiver. This how-to guide will reference doorbell kits for the sake of simplicity.
Tools you'll need to install your wired doorbell include:
- The items included in your BAZZ Smart Home Wired Doorbell kit.
- A screwdriver.
It's as easy as that!
1. Remove the Previous Doorbell
Before removing the previous doorbell, it is essential to turn off the power at the breaker. Next, remove and disconnect the existing doorbell, and decide whether you want a flat or angled mounting plate to adjust the field of view for your doorbell. An angled mounting plate allows you to angle the doorbell to the left or right, while a flat plate is standard and positions the doorbell straight.
To remove your old wired doorbell, follow these steps:
- Turn off the power to your home's circuit breaker.
- Use a screwdriver to remove the mounting screws on the doorbell cover. If the screws are not visible, gently unsnap the cover.
- Carefully pull the housing away from the wall and use a voltage tester to ensure the power is off before disconnecting the wires from the button.
- Tape the wires to the wall to prevent them from falling into the cavity.
- Remove the chime unit cover and disconnect the wires. Unscrew the chime unit from the wall and tape the wires to the wall, like in step 4.
2. Install the Wired Doorbell
To install a wired doorbell, you must first decide which model is for you. BAZZ recommends the Smart WiFi Video Doorbell for superior style, security, and smart home monitoring.
To install your Smart Video Doorbell, you will need the doorbell, voltage between 16V and 24V, and a 10VA transformer.
To install your wired doorbell, follow these steps:
- After uninstalling your old doorbell, Connect the wires to your new doorbell.
- Attach the two wires to the screws on the back of the doorbell button by hooking a wire around each loosened screw.
- Tighten the screws to secure the wires.
- Mount the doorbell and place the cover (if it comes with one) over the button.
- Once the new doorbell is installed, turn the power back on at the breaker.
- Connect the video feature to the BAZZ Smart Home app using your home network's WiFi.
- Test the doorbell button to ensure it works correctly, and enjoy the benefits of fully smart, video-monitoring security!
3. Put in the Chime Unit
To install a chime unit for a wired doorbell, follow these steps.
- Once again, turn off the power at the breaker.
- Remove the cover on the existing chime unit and check the voltage to ensure you don't harm yourself.
- Find the labeled screw terminals and transfer each wire respectively. Label each wire so you can remember which is which.
- Loosen the screw terminals and disconnect the wires.
- Unscrew the unit and remove it from the wall.
- Thread the wires through the back of your new chime unit and mount it according to the instructions that come with it.
- Connect the wires to their designated screw terminals, tighten the screws, and put the cover on the chime unit.
- Turn the power back on and ring the doorbell to test out that chime!
Smart Doorbell Tips and Tricks for Installation
When a wired doorbell is smart, it's not the kind of boring old doorbell you're used to. Although it requires the same quick and easy installation steps, there are some tips you can follow to set up your Smart Video Monitoring Doorbell to optimize your experience.
- Download the BAZZ Smart Home app onto your smartphone and any other smart device.
- Sync the doorbell to your home WiFi network and your smart devices.
- Ensure everyone in your home has the BAZZ Smart Home app so you know your family is always safe and aware.
- For your video controls, make sure you put the receiver in an easily accessible location.
Benefits of a Wired Video Doorbell
Some benefits of having your own BAZZ Smart Home Wired Video Doorbell include:
- Saving money on homeowners insurance by having constant access to monitoring your property.
- Knowing when packages or visitors arrive.
- Provide video evidence to the police in the case of a break-in or theft.
- Deter burglars and speak to unknown visitors without having to open your door.
- Integrate your doorbell with your other smart devices.
If you want an even better view of what's happening outside your home, upgrade your doorbell to the Smart WiFi Outdoor Security Kit from BAZZ to enjoy peace of mind anytime, anywhere.
Best Wired Doorbells Offered by BAZZ
The BAZZ Smart WiFi Video Doorbell is cost-effective and has all the bells and whistles you need to get the absolute most out of your new purchase. In addition to 1080p video, it has a built-in mic and speaker so you can communicate with whoever comes to your door.
For example, a vital package comes for you when you're at work. With the BAZZ Smart WiFi doorbell, you receive an instant alert via the app and can communicate directly with the delivery person. It's like you're at home - even when you're not.
Unlike most security systems, with a BAZZ Smart WiFi doorbell, there are no monthly fees, and everything you need to install the doorbell is included. So install the doorbell, connect it to WiFi via the app (available on iOS and Android), and you're good to go!